Wednesday, April 16, 2014

BASKET

For the longest time, I’ve coached and mentored people on the use of the “3E’s” (Education, Experience and Exposure) as the key components for self assessing your career situation.  I learned them from Deane Hislop originally and then saw the CISCO Career Makeover video (quite funny) where it was also used.

An odd coincidence happened as I was on my way to watch the NCAA Final Four basketball games.  I read a career mentoring article (sorry, I cannot find it now to properly credit the source) and their guiding principle was called “BASKET.” While the name might have been what originally caught my attention, I ultimately liked the six elements:

·         Behavior – the way you act (includes verbal and nonverbal communication)
·         Attitude – your internal guidance system (this can make up for less talent)
·         Skills – specific techniques (these are learned through repetition)
·         Knowledge – this would be similar to the Education E (formal education and training)
·         Experience – actual time in position (the opportunity to succeed and fail)
·         Talent – the natural things you are born with (can be a negative if used wrong)

While I like the simplicity of the 3Es, I also love bringing Attitude and Behavior into the discussion.  We have all met very talented people who turn us off!

What do you think of this coaching/mentoring model? Do you think LiaV should transition to using it as the primary model?

2 comments:

Allen L said...

In teaching leadership (including the management subset) I believe that mentoring is the most effective way to pass on these skills. Reading about them in a book only passes on the concepts. To be able to apply those concepts demands practice and some failures. A mentor can put those successes and failures into context and perspective and help the student grow and learn for the next time.

JBKB said...

I believe that behavior and attitude are critical components to the coaching/mentoring process. This is especially true for people in leadership roles or who aspire to them. You can be really smart and have great credentials on paper, but if you do not have the ability to inspire & engage others through HOW you lead you won't affect change. And THAT is critical for success in today's business environment.

Add to Technorati Favorites